USS Lea (DD-118) at San Diego, 1933

USS Lea (DD-118) at San Diego, 1933

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

U.S. Destroyers: An Illustrated Design History, Norman Friedmann .The standard history of the development of American destroyers, from the earliest torpedo boat destroyers to the post-war fleet, and covering the massive classes of destroyers built for both World Wars. Gives the reader a good understanding of the debates that surrounded each class of destroyer and led to their individual features.

Born in Raleigh, North Carolina, Bagley was the son of Major William Henry Bagley and Adelaide Ann Worth. [1]

Bagley attended North Carolina State College in 1898 and 1899 before entering the United States Naval Academy in 1900. After graduating on February 4, 1904, [1] he went to sea in USS Missouri (BB-11) attached to the North Atlantic Fleet. In December 1905, Passed Midshipman Bagley was reassigned to the Asiatic Fleet and served successively in Concord (Gunboat No. 3) and USS West Virginia (ACR-5) . While in Concord, he was commissioned ensign on February 2, 1906. He was detached from West Virginia in March 1907 and, the following year, reported on board USS Rhode Island (BB-17) of the Atlantic Fleet and made the voyage around the world in her with the Great White Fleet. In April 1909, he left Rhode Island and went to the General Electric Co. in Schenectady, New York, for a year of instruction. He then became aide and flag lieutenant to the Commander, 2nd Division, Atlantic Fleet, in April 1910.

After a similar tour of duty on the staff of the Commander in Chief, Asiatic Fleet, and a two-month furlough, Bagley reported for duty at the Naval Academy in September 1912. Two years later, Bagley returned to sea as first lieutenant in USS Michigan (BB-27) serving with the Atlantic Fleet. He got his first command in September 1915 when he took over USS Drayton (DD-23) .

During the first month of 1917, Bagley moved from Drayton to USS Jacob Jones (DD-61) . By May 1917, he and his ship were conducting antisubmarine patrols and convoy escort missions in the western approaches to the British Isles. Later, his area of operations widened to include the Irish Sea and the English Channel.

On December 6, 1917, Bagley conned his ship out of Brest harbor. At about 1621 that afternoon, the watch spied a torpedo wake. The destroyer maneuvered to avoid the torpedo, but in vain. It struck the ship's starboard side and pierced the fuel oil tank. Though Bagley and his crew worked frantically to save the ship, it went down within eight minutes carrying 64 crewmen with it. Bagley and 37 others made it into the icy water in boats and on rafts, and, thanks to the humanitarian gesture by Kapitänleutnant Hans Rose, the U-boat commander who radioed their location to Queenstown, they were all picked up by the 8th. Bagley earned the Navy Distinguished Service Medal for his part in handling the situation.

Bagley returned to the United States after the sinking of Jacob Jones and became the prospective commanding officer of USS Lea (DD-118) then under construction at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. He put her into commission on October 2, 1918, but commanded her only until January 1919 when he became the American port officer at Rotterdam in the Netherlands with additional duty as the assistant naval attaché in the American legation at The Hague.

Bagley later served as naval attaché before returning to the United States in December 1921 for a tour of duty ashore in the Office of Naval Intelligence. In March 1922, Bagley returned to sea in command of USS Reno (DD-303) and as Commander, Destroyer Division 32, Pacific Fleet. He transferred to command of Division 35, Destroyer Squadrons, Battle Fleet, in August 1923. Bagley went ashore again in May 1924 for another two‑year tour of duty at the Naval Academy. At the end of the academic year in 1926, he left the academy to become chief of staff to the Commander, Naval Forces, Europe, embarked in USS Memphis (CL-13) . In April 1927, Bagley moved to the 9th Naval District as the assistant (later changed to chief of staff) to the commandant with temporary additional duty as acting commanding officer of the Naval Training Station, Great Lakes.

Bagley returned to sea in December 1931 as the commanding officer of heavy cruiser USS Pensacola (CA-24) , then serving in the Atlantic with Cruiser Division 4, Scouting Fleet. That assignment lasted until May 1933 when Bagley was called to Washington, D.C., for duty in the Bureau of Navigation. He later became assistant bureau chief.

In May 1935, orders sent Bagley to Newport, Rhode Island, to attend the Naval War College. Upon completing the senior course, he remained there as a member of the staff. Next came a year of duty as Commander, Destroyer Squadron 20, Destroyers, Scouting Fleet. From July 1937 to May 1938, he served as Commander Minecraft, Battle Force. While in that position, he was promoted to flag rank to date from April 1, 1938. In May of that year, Rear Admiral Bagley began a 32‑month tour of duty as Commandant, Mare Island Navy Yard.

At the beginning of 1941, Bagley broke his flag in USS Tennessee (BB-43) as Commander, Battleship Division 2. He was serving in that command billet when his flagship was slightly damaged on December 7, 1941 during the Japanese air raid on Pearl Harbor.

On April 4, 1942, Bagley relieved Rear Admiral Claude C. Bloch as Commandant, 14th Naval District, and Commander, Hawaiian Sea Frontier, and he served in that capacity until January 1943. On February 1, 1943, he assumed command of the Western Sea Frontier and, on March 30, 1943, added the duties of Commandant, 11th Naval District. He held the latter office only until January 1944, but continued to head the Western Sea Frontier until the following fall. Promoted to vice admiral to date from February 1, 1944, he was relieved of duty as Commander, Western Sea Frontier, on November 17, 1944. Eleven days later, Vice Admiral Bagley returned to Oahu and resumed duty as Commandant, 14th Naval District, and served in that position until ordered to Washington on July 25, 1945. On August 20, Bagley reported for duty in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations and served on the International Defense Board, the United States-Mexican Defense Commission, and the Permanent Joint Board on Defense.

Bagley was relieved of all active duty on March 22, 1946 and was placed on the retired list with the rank of admiral on April 1, 1947. Admiral Bagley died at the Naval Hospital, San Diego, California, on May 24, 1960. [1]

The first three vessels named USS Bagley—Torpedo Boat No. 24, Destroyer No. 185, and DD-386—were named for Ensign Worth Bagley. The fourth, DE-1069, honors both Worth Bagley and his brother, Admiral David W. Bagley. The Bagley Amphitheater at Barbers Point, TH was completed 1 Apr 1945 and commissioned 6 Apr 1945 with seating capacity 7,200. Barbers Point Station commemorated its 3rd anniversary. Guests included Admiral Bagley, Governor Ingram Stainbackof the Territory of Hawaii, Brigadier General Littleton W. T. Waller Jr., USMC, and Commodore J. L. Austen. [2]

Lea được đặt lườn vào ngày 18 tháng 9 năm 1917 tại xưởng tàu của hãng William Cramp & Sons ở Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 29 tháng 4 năm 1918, được đỡ đầu bởi bà Harry E. Collins, và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngày 2 tháng 10 năm 1918 dưới quyền chỉ huy của Hạm trưởng, Thiếu tá Hải quân Willis Augustus Lee.

Giữa hai cuộc thế chiến Sửa đổi

Sau khi phục vụ tại Đại Tây Dương cùng Hải đội Khu trục 19 vào năm 1919, Lea được điều động sang Hạm đội Thái Bình Dương vào năm 1920 và hoạt động chủ yếu dọc theo bờ Tây Hoa Kỳ trong những năm giữa hai cuộc thế chiến. Nó được cho xuất biên chế tại San Diego vào ngày 22 tháng 6 năm 1922 rồi được cho nhập biên chế trở lại vào ngày 1 tháng 5 năm 1930. Lea được cho xuất biên chế một lần nữa vào ngày 7 tháng 4 năm 1937 rồi hoạt động trở lại vào ngày 30 tháng 9 năm 1939. Dưới quyền chỉ huy của Thiếu tá Hải quân F. W. Slaven, nó lên đường đi sang vùng bờ Đông để tham gia các cuộc Tuần tra Trung lập bảo vệ vùng bờ biển Đại Tây Dương trong giai đoạn căng thẳng trước khi Hoa Kỳ tham gia Chiến tranh Thế giới thứ hai. Nó đã phục vụ hộ tống đoàn tàu vận tải chuyển binh lính Thủy quân Lục chiến đến chiếm đóng vào ngày Iceland 8 tháng 7 năm 1941.

Thế Chiến II Sửa đổi

Trong suốt hai năm rưỡi từ khi Hoa Kỳ tham gia chiến tranh, Lea làm nhiệm vụ hộ tống vận tải tại Bắc Đại Tây Dương, vùng biển Caribe và dọc theo bờ Đông trong bối cảnh có sự hoạt động tích cực của tàu ngầm U-boat Đức và điều kiện thời tiết khác nghiệt. Nó tham gia cứu vớt những người sống sót từ những tàu buôn bị đánh chìm cũng như kháng cự các cuộc tấn công của tàu ngầm đối phương, đạt thành công trong một số trường hợp.

Trường hợp cứu hộ ngoài biển khơi đầu tiên của Lea diễn ra vào tháng 2 năm 1942, khi nó cứu vớt thủy thủ đoàn của chiếc tàu buôn Xô Viết Dvinoles, vốn đã bỏ tàu sau khi hư hại do va chạm. Cuối tháng đó, vào ngày 24 tháng 2, là một ngày dài chiến đấu chống lại tàu ngầm đối phương, khi Lea và các tàu hộ tống khác phải lần lượt tách ra để đẩy lui các U-boat, vốn đã thành công trong việc đánh chìm bốn tàu buôn Đồng Minh.

Từ ngày 22 tháng 4 đến ngày 30 tháng 5 năm 1943, Lea tham gia đội tìm-diệt hình thành chung quanh tàu sân bay hộ tống Bogue trong nhiệm vụ đầu tiên của một đội như thế. Vào các ngày 21 và 22 tháng 5, máy bay của Bogue trở thành những chiếc đầu tiên đụng độ với một cuộc tấn công tàu ngầm quy mô lớn (wolfpack: bầy sói) nhắm vào đoàn tàu vận tải. Kết quả của sáu đợt tấn công nhằm bảo vệ đoàn tàu vận tải đã khiến đội tìm-diệt này được trao tặng danh hiệu Đơn vị Tuyên dương Tổng thống mà Lea được chia sẻ.

Hoạt động phụ trợ Sửa đổi

Vào ngày 31 tháng 12 năm 1943, Lea rời New York trong năm ngày cho nhiệm vụ hộ tống đoàn tàu vận tải khi nó bị một tàu buôn đâm phải. Được kéo đến Bermuda và sau đó là Boston, nó hoàn tất việc sửa chữa vào ngày 28 tháng 6 năm 1944, và bắt đầu khởi hành từ Newport để hoạt động như một tàu mục tiêu cho việc thực hành huấn luyện bay của máy bay ném bom ngư lôi thuộc tàu sân bay hộ tống. Từ tháng 1 đến tháng 6 năm 1945, nó đảm trách nhiệm vụ tương tự ngoài khơi Florida. Đi đến Philadelphia vào ngày 14 tháng 6, Lea được cho ngừng hoạt động tại đây vào ngày 20 tháng 7 năm 1945 tên nó được rút khỏi danh sách Đăng bạ Hải quân vào ngày 13 tháng 8 năm 1945 và lườn tàu được bán cho hãng Boston Metals Salvage Company tại Baltimore vào ngày 30 tháng 11 năm 1945 để tháo dỡ.

Lea được tặng thưởng ba Ngôi sao Chiến trận do thành tích phục vụ trong Thế Chiến II.

USS Lea (DD-118) at San Diego, 1933 - History

The USS HIGBEE (DD 806) was launched 13 November 1944 by the Bath Iron Works Bath Maine sponsored by Mrs. A.M. Wheaton, sister of the late Mrs. Lenah S. Higbee and commissioned 27 January, 1945, Commander Lindsay Williamson in command.

The Higbee immediately sailed to Boston where she was converted to a radar picket destroyer. After shakedown in the Caribbean she sailed for the Pacific 24 May joining the famed Carrier Task Force 38 less than 400 miles from Tokyo Bay 19 July. "Leaping Lena" as she had been dubbed by her crew screened the carriers as their planes launched heavy air attacks against the Japanese mainland until the end of hostilities 15 August. She helped clear Japanese mine fields and supported the occupation forces for the following 7 months finally returning to San Diego 11 April 1946. The post-war years saw Higbee make two peacetime Western Pacific cruises as well as participate in fleet exercises and tactical training maneuvers during both these cruises and off the West Coast. On her second Westpac cruise Higbee escorted the heavy cruiser, Toledo as they paid official visits to the recently constituted governments of India and Pakistan in the summer of 1948.

When Communist troops plunged into South Korea in June 1950 Higbee re-designated DDR-806 18 March 1949 was immediately deployed to the Korean coast with the 7th fleet. Most of her Korean War duty came in screening the Fast Carrier Task For 77 as their jets launched raids against Communist positions and supply lines. On 15 September she formed part of the shore bombardment and screening group for the brilliant amphibious operation at Inchon. Higbee returned to San Diego 8 February 1951. In two subsequent stints in Korea she continued to screen the carrier task force and carry out shore bombardment of enemy positions. In order to protect against the possibility of Communist invasion of Nationalist China Higbee also participated in patrol of Formosa Straits. Returning to the States 30 June 1953 she entered the Long Beach yard for a 6-month modernization which saw major structural alterations made including an enlarged Combat Information Center new height-finding radar and an improved antiaircraft battery.

The radar picket destroyer's peacetime duty then fell into a pattern of 6-month Westpac cruises alternating with upkeep and training of San Diego. Operating with the 7th Fleet on her Westpac cruises Higbee visited Australian and South Pacific ports frequently as well as engaging in fleet maneuvers with units of SEATO navies. Her home port was changed to Yokosuka Japan 21 May 1960. From there Higbee continued to cruise in the Pacific and along the China coast to strengthen American forces in Asia and show her determination to protect democracy against the inroads of Communism. After 2 years duty in Japan Higbee returned to her new home port San Francisco 4 September 1962. On 1 April 1963 the destroyer entered the shipyard there for a fleet rehabilitation and modernization overhaul designed to improve her fighting capabilities and lengthen her life span as an active member of the fleet. Higbee was re-designated DD 806 on 1 June 1963.

Ready for action 3 January 1964 Higbee trained on the West Coast until departing for Japan 30 June and reached her new homeport Yokosuka 18 July. During the Tonkin Gulf Incident in August the destroyer screened carriers of Task Force 77 in the South China Sea. In February 1965 Higbee supported the 9th Marine Brigade at Danang Vietnam. In May she participated in Gemini recovery in the Western Pacific. On 1 September Higbee helped to rescue the crew from Arsinoe after the French tanker had grounded off Scarborough Shoals in the South China Sea. The remainder of September was spent in naval gunfire support off South Vietnam.

While operating northeast of Luzon in late January 1966 Higbee sighted Russian hydrographic ship Gidrifon. Returning to South Vietnam in April Higbee bombarded enemy positions near Cape St. Jacques and the mouth of the Saigon River. On 17 June she departed Yokosuka for the West Coast arrived Long Beach her new home port 2 July and operated out of there into1967.

On 19 April 1972, Higbee became the first US warship to sustain bomb damage during the Vietnam War, when one of two North Vietnamese Air Force MiG-17s destroyed her after 5-inch gun mount with a 250 kg bomb. Four sailors were wounded. The second MiG-17 bombed the light cruiser USS Oklahoma City (CLG 5), causing minor damage. In return, Sterett (DLG 31) launched a Terrier surface-to-air missile, which destroyed one of the MiGs.

Higbee was decommissioned and struck from the Navy list on 15 July 1979. She was sunk as a target on 24 April 1986, around 130 nmi (240 km 150 mi) west of San Diego at 32°28&prime0.4&PrimeN 119°58&prime0.7&PrimeW.

USS Lea (DD-118) at San Diego, 1933 - History

The USS Walke, Mitoko Yamachi, and the Cherry Trees in the Japanese Friendship Garden: How Are these Connected?
By Mark Halverson

On 12 June 1951, during the Korean War, a US Navy destroyer hit a mine off the coast of Korea. This ship, the USS Walke (DD-723), was severely damaged and 26 men were killed and 40 were injured in the incident. The ship’s commanding officer, Marshall Thompson, bravely prevented the ship from sinking and conducted rescue operations to save what he could of the crew. The USS Walke limped to Sasebo, Japan for repairs. While there, the dispirited crew met a young 14 year old Japanese student named Mitoko, whose parents were killed by the atomic bomb in Nagasaki. Times were hard and money was tight, such that the bright and happy orphan girl would have had to drop out of school in order to support herself by working in the fields.

As the crew learned of Mitoko’s circumstances and her desire for learning, under the leadership of their skipper, Marshall Thompson, funds for Mitoko were collected from the Walke’s officers and crew.

How does this relate to the cherry trees at the Japanese Friendship Garden in San Diego, California?

When the ship was ready to depart, the money for Mitoko’s scholarship was placed into a bank account for Mitoko, and the crew returned to its duties on the USS Walke. The crew, and Marshall Thompson, were fully occupied with their duties, and as time passed they eventually lost all contact.

Captain Marshall Thompson retired in San Diego. However, with time his fond memories of Japan led him to thoughts of that little orphan girl. What had become of her? How could he re-establish contact? With the help of Mrs. Ohara, whom Marshall Thompson met at a public demonstration of the traditional Japanese tea ceremony, contact with Mitoko was re-established. By this time, Mitoko was a successful nurse working for the Red Cross, and was married. They had a grown son and daughter.

In August of 1993, after 42 years, Mitoko and her husband reunited at the Japanese Friendship Garden in San Diego for a reunion with Captain Thompson and several of the USS Walke shipmates. In his interview with a television reporter at the officers’ club at the Naval base in San Diego, Captain Thompson said, “We did not help Mitoko by paying for her scholarship. In fact, she is the one who helped us. She had been orphaned and yet, she was always there to cheer up the dispirited officers with a smile and her unstoppable optimism.” Mitoko and her husband returned several times to San Diego for reunions, for Captain Thompson’s funeral, and for the 50th anniversary memorial services of the Walke incident in 2001.

The Legend Grows
After the dramatic reunion in 1993, Mitoko was moved to write a book about this story, wherein she describes her personal experiences and the change to her life that was brought about by the selfless acts of the crew of the USS Walke. At the center of this was the leadership of Captain Marshall Thompson, a man who was somehow larger than life. The book became popular in Japan, and was used throughout the country as a symbol of the friendship between the Japanese and American people. That book eventually became required reading at the Japanese Naval Academy as a model of a Naval officer’s courage, vision, and leadership.

In Mitoko’s book, she talks about the cherry trees that bloom each spring at the Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park, San Diego, and how she donated money to help make them possible. She mentions with strong emotion how these cherry trees are symbols of the lasting friendship between the Japanese and American people, and especially of the bond that she has with the crew of the USS Walke.

A Chance Meeting
Now fast-forward to 12 June 2011, 60 years to the day after that fateful event off the coast of Korea. John Henderson and Guy Willis, two former crewmembers of the USS Walke arrived at the Japanese Friendship Garden in San Diego to see “Mitoko’s Cherry Trees” and pay their respects to Captain Marshall Thompson, whose name is listed on a marble plaque within the garden. By chance, they bumped into volunteer docent, Mark Halverson. Mark had never heard of the Mitoko story, but promised to research the historical background of the Japanese Friendship Garden, Marshall Thompson, Mitoko, and the cherry trees.

Considerable digging and assistance from the Japanese Friendship Garden staff were required. Guy Willis and Mark Halverson remained in contact and regularly exchanged information. Finally, after many months of research, we now know how it all came together.

How the Cherry Trees Came to Be
By the late 1990’s, the Japanese Friendship Garden in San Diego decided to incorporate cherry trees in the Garden. However, there were challenges. First, cherry trees won’t blossom reliably in San Diego’s coastal climate. Second, additional funding was needed to purchase hundreds of special cherry trees. The first challenge was solved after a great deal of effort by developing a double hybrid graft cherry tree that would blossom reliably in San Diego’s coastal climate.

The second challenge, raising the funds for 200 of these unique and very special cherry trees, proved to be just as difficult. Many people donated funds, most notably Moto Asakawa. Mitoko and Marshall Thompson’s widow also contributed to this effort.

Every year these special trees blossom, reminding everyone of that special relationship between the Japanese and American people, and in particular, of the story of the Japanese orphan girl and the crew of the USS Walke.

Photos Navies Of All Nations


Super Moderator

HMS Swift sinking off Sword Beach, June 24, 1944 after striking a mine.
HMS Swift was an S-class destroyer built for the Royal Navy during the Second World War. The ship belonged to the January 1941 order of the Royal Navy from the War Emergency program. The destroyer was launched from the shipyard J. Samuel White in Cowes on 15 June 1943 and was put into service on 12 December 1943.

In early 1944 Swift saw service escorting Arctic Convoys to and from the Kola Inlet. The ship participated in the Normandy landings providing fire support. She was sunk off Sword Beach by mine on 24 June 1944 with 53 casualties.

HMS Illustrious departing Devonport

HMS's Courageous, Glorious and Furious, in the Grand Harbour, Malta, c. 1929-1931


Super Moderator

USS St. Paul (CA-73) fires at the Cong Phu railroad yard as it is bracketed by North Vietnamese shells in this August 1967 photo

USS Beale (DD-471). Crewmembers use a fire hose to cool the barrel of the ship's forward 5/38 gun. Possibly taken during Beale's mid-1966 naval gunfire support operations off Vietnam. USN photo.


Super Moderator

Destroyer Francesco Stocco in July 1918, after suffering light damage in a brief night engagement with Austro-Hungarian destroyers and torpedo-boats.

The Sirtori-class destroyer Francesco Stocco was part of a force (five coastal and two large torpedo-boats, supported by seven destroyers) that, in the night between 1 and 2 July 1918, operated in the Piave delta region, bombarding enemy positions and pretending to undertake a landing to take the enemy's attention away from the simultaneous land operations.

At around 0310 h, the Italian units met with an Austro-Hungarian force, including the destroyers SMS Balaton and SMS Csikòs and the torpedo-boats TB 83F and TB 88F, sortied from Pola to support an aerial attack against Venice, and that had evaded a MAS attack (that had launched a torpedo against Balaton and had missed). In the brief engagement, both sides launched torpedoes with no success (the Stocco evaded two), while the Italian destroyer and both Austro-Hungarian ones suffered damage from gunfire, before both sides disengaged, the Italians to return to their coastal operations, the Austro-Hungarians to return to base.

USS Lea (DD-118) at San Diego, 1933 - History

A Tin Can Sailors
Destroyer History


Osmond Kelly Ingram was born in Pratt City, Alabama, on August 4, 1887, and enlisted in the Navy in 1903. By 1917, Ingram, a Gunner’s Mate First Class, was assigned to USS CASSIN (DD-43), searching for German submarines off the coast of the British Isles. On October 16, 1917, CASSIN sighted the German submarine U-61 about twenty miles south of Mind Head, Ireland. While maneuvering to escape, the German fired a torpedo at CASSIN. Gunner’s Mate Ingram spotted the fish. Realizing that the torpedo would hit the stern of CASSIN in an explosives storage area, Ingram began jettisoning the munitions. Although his courageous actions saved his ship, the exploding torpedo blasted him overboard. His body was never found. The next day, CASSIN was towed to Queenstown afloat, and soon to return to active duty because - of Ingram’s courage.

USS OSMOND INGRAM (DD-255) was one of the 273 "flush deckers" completed, beginning in 1917, to meet the needs of the Navy in the Atlantic. (In all, 279 were authorized, but hull numbers 200-205 were never built, and no names were assigned.) OSMOND INGRAM’s keel was laid at the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Company’s Fore River facility in Quincy, Massachusetts on October 15, 1918. DD-255 was launched on February 23, 1919 sponsored by Mrs. N. E. Ingram Osmond’s mother. The ship was commissioned in June of the same year, at the Boston Navy Yard.

Displacement: 1215 tons
Length: 314𔃾"
Beam: 31𔄂"
Draft: 9󈧎"
Designed Speed: 35 Knots
Crew: 122
Armament: Four 4-inch, one 3-inch, twelve 21-inch torpedo tubes.

OSMOND INGRAM was initially assigned to the Atlantic fleet, where she served in DesRon 8, DesDiv 28 for three years, decommissioning at Philadelphia in June 1922.

By 1940, the Navy was facing yet another war. Navy Department analysts saw the old "flush deckers" as obsolete for anti-submarine work, but the newly acquired PBY Catalina flying boats being assigned to fleet patrol duties needed tenders to serve as advance bases. Of the 169 "flush deckers" which still remained on the Navy’s lists, (many had been scrapped during the Twenties due to the "ravages of old age" and the limiting effects of the naval treaties that were in vogue at the time seven were lost in the Pedernales Point, California, disaster on September 8, 1923) a total of nine were to be converted to serve a 12-plane squadron each. Thus, after eighteen years in "red lead row," DD-255 was to become AVD-9. OSMOND INGRAM lost her two forward boiler rooms, replaced with tankage for 30,000 gallons of avgas, had her torpedo tubes landed, along with her waist guns and her 3" anti-aircraft weapon, in exchange for a crane and aircraft-servicing launches. Her bridge was extended to provide extra electronics spaces and living and office space for squadron personnel. Old four-inch guns were replaced with 3" 50’s. On November 22, 1940, OSMOND INGRAM began a new career at the Philadelphia Navy Yard as AVD-9.

OSMOND INGRAM spent 1941 in the Caribbean, tending PBY squadrons in San Juan, Port of Spain, British Guiana, St. Lucia and Antigua. She participated in the commissioning of the U.S. Naval Air Station in Trinidad, rescued the survivors of a crashed PBY off St. Eustatius, and assisted a PANAM clipper in trouble in San Juan.

In January, 1942, AVD-9 was transferred to the Pacific side of the Canal Zone, where she served as squadron tender pending the completion of more permanent facilities at Salinas, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands. Changing conditions meant another "career move" for OSMOND INGRAM.

BARNEGAT class seaplane tenders were reaching fleet patrol wings in sufficient quantities to make the converted destroyers redundant, and the new AVP’s abilities to lift a PBY aboard for service was an added plus. At the same time, a change in tactics necessitated by increased Nazi activities in the Atlantic meant a new role for OSMOND INGRAM.

Once again, the 0I was in for a "face- lift." Aircraft service launches and the crane were replaced by 20 mm mounts, K guns were installed and the old avgas tank was converted to hold diesel fuel to be used in conjunction with her regular bunker oil, extending the range of the vessel considerably. New sonar and radar equipment completed the refit. By the end of 1942, OSMOND INGRAM, once again DD-255, had served on individual and joint escort missions to Bermuda, Argentia, Trinidad, Recite and Belem. She had also trained with escort carriers in her "new" role as a sub hunter.

In May 1943, OSMOND INGRAM joined Task Group 21.12, a "hunter-killer" group formed around the escort carrier BOGUE (CVE-9). In addition to escorting convoys, the new task groups were to actively hunt the wolfpacks of the Kreigsmarine. TG 21.12 was composed of four other "flush deckers," GREENE (AVD-13/ex DD-266), BELKNAP (AVD-8/ex DD-251), LEA (DD-118), and GEORGE E. BADGER (DD-196), along with BOGUE. The new tactic was a clear success, thanks to ships like the OSMOND INGRAM. TG 21.12/13 became one of the most successful hunter-killer teams in the Atlantic.

On a return sweep of the mid-Atlantic, BOGUE’s scouting aircraft sighted a sub operating on the surface. The U-boat immediately submerged, but one of the task group’s newer additions, CLEMSON (DD-186), made sonar contact, opening a nearly twenty-six hour engagement. During the remaining hours of daylight, and into the night, BADGER, DUPONT (DD-152), and OSMOND INGRAM "pinged" and rolled depth charges. By mid-day, a telltale oil slick alerted the destroyers and their supporting aircraft to the damage they had done. For three more hours OSMOND INGRAM and CLEMSON boiled the water with depth charge patterns, seemingly without effect. Just as the hunt was about to be called off, with both destroyers running short of depth charges, U-172 broke the surface. Several Nazis abandoned ship at the sight of the approaching tin cans and the circling Wildcats from BOGUE, but the battle wasn’t over. The remaining submariners manned the U-boat’s deck guns to trade shots with the OSMOND INGRAM. Within six minutes, U-172’s decks were awash the remnants of her crew had surrendered. At a cost of one destroyerman killed and eight wounded in the OSMOND INGRAM, one of the largest and newest of Hitler’s U-boats had been destroyed. DD-255 received credit for the kill. During her service with the BOGUE task group, OSMOND INGRAM participated in the destruction of eight German submarines and helped to earn the ships of TG 21.12/13 three Presidential Unit Citations in the period from May through December, 1943. After a period of convoy escort service, first to Gibraltar early in 1944, then between New York and Trinidad, DD-255 faced another "conversion." High-speed transports had proven very successful, both for landing underwater demolition teams and commando forces, as well as for disembarking and supplying Marine battalions in the Pacific. In June 1944, OSMOND INGRAM entered Charleston Navy Yard for conversion to a high-speed transport. She lost much of the bridge office spaces added in her AVD role, her mid-ship 20 mm weapons and clipping rooms were removed as well, along with her K-guns. Four landing craft, with their launching gear, took up the waist area, where her torpedo tubes had been in a previous life. Officially, she was capable of carrying an assault force of three officers and 144 men. 0I was now APD-35.

August of 1944 found OSMOND INGRAM in the Mediterranean assigned to TransDiv 14. She assisted in the pre-invasion assaults on southern France by landing elements of the First Special Service Force on islands off the French coast. She then served as convoy escort along the French and Italian coasts until her transfer to Norfolk in December.

By 1945, APD-35 was in the Pacific, alternately serving as an attack transport and a convoy escort. OSMOND INGRAM shepherded a convoy from New York, through the Panama Canal, then on to San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and finally to Ulithi. She next served with the assault forces for Okinawa, sailing on April 2, 1945 with the lead elements. Until the island was secured, APD-35 alternated between patrolling Hagushi anchorage and escorting fast convoys to Guam and Saipan. Convoy and patrol activities took the 0I between the Philippines, Hollandia, and Borneo during July and August. With the Japanese surrender, OSMOND INGRAM was called upon to aid in the occupation of the "Home Islands," visiting Wakayama, Kure and Nagoya before returning to the United States.

OSMOND INGRAM was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on January 8, 1946, slightly less then twenty-six years after her first commissioning. Within thirteen days, she had been stricken from the Navy list, and on June 17, 1946 she was sold to Hugo Neu of New York for scrapping.

During her extensive and varied service, OSMOND INGRAM received six battle stars, the Legion of Merit with Combat V, and Bronze with Combat V, along with being included in three Presidential Unit Citations, one of which was presented to her, alone, for the sinking of U-172.

Special Recognition: TCS acknowledges the assistance of Capt. Roger F. Miller USN (Ret.) and Robert H. Hale (CA) in the preparation of the article to dedicate this issue of the Tin Can Sailor to their beloved ship. Tin Can Sailors salutes all the men who served aboard her.

From The Tin Can Sailor, September 1989

Copyright 2001 Tin Can Sailors.
All rights reserved.
This article may not be reproduced in any form without written permission from
Tin Can Sailors.

Welcome To the USS Bradley DE/FF 1041 Assocation

Bradley was laid down at San Francisco, California on 17 January 1963, launched on 26 March 1964, and commissioned on 15 May 1965. Her first deployment to the Western Pacific between July and December 1966 included four months of gunfire support along the coast of South Vietnam and carrier escort duty in the Gulf of Tonkin. In February 1967 Bradley received the prototype destroyer installation of the Sea Sparrow Basic Point Defense Missile System (BPDMS). After intensive trials between May and September, the system was removed in September.

Bradley commenced her second deployment to Southeast Asia in December 1967 but was diverted to the Sea of Japan in response to the North Korean capture of USS Pueblo. In March she resumed carrier escort and gunfire support duties off South Vietnam. After a final tour on the gun line in June, during which she fired 3,247 rounds in 10 days from her two 5"/38 guns, she returned to San Diego, California in July 1968. Her first regular overhaul between October 1968 and May 1969 featured a major upgrade to her AN/SQS 26AXR sonar and extensive work on her two temperamental pressure-fired boilers. Bradley's third deployment featured a gun line tour in January 1970, surveillance of the Soviet Navy's worldwide "Okean" exercise in April, and more carrier escort and gunfire support duty lasting into June. During the next five years Bradley conducted three additional deployments to Southeast Asia, interrupted by a second regular overhaul in 1971-72.

In June 1975 Bradley began a year-long overhaul which included the enlargement of her helicopter hangar. In July 1975 she was reclassified from escort ship (DE) to frigate (FF). After trials in mid-1976, Bradley conducted two more deployments, each of which included lengthy operations in the Indian Ocean, before entering the shipyard in mid-1979 for another one-year overhaul. Repeating this pattern, she conducted another two deployments, this time ranging between Korea and Malaysia, before starting another year-long overhaul in mid-1983, primarily to remedy boiler problems. The ship made one more Western Pacific deployment between mid-1986 and January 1987 and a Northern Pacific cruise in May–June 1988 before decommissioning on 30 September 1988.

In September 1989 Bradley was leased to Brazil at San Diego and became the destroyer Pernambuco (D 30). She was stricken from the U. S. Navy and sold outright to Brazil in January 2001. She remained active in the Brazilian Navy into her 39th year afloat, having participated at sea in seven exercises between early 2001 and early 2003. On 11 March 2004, she was decommissioned and placed in reserve. After many years of GREAT service the USS Bradley DE/FF 1041 was scrapped on May 15th 2013 and sold for $280,000.00.

USS Lea (DD-118) at San Diego, 1933 - History

(Celebrating 16 Years in Business)

(Not just a photo or poster but a work of art!)

These reproduction prints represent various time periods and themes. Many are vintage WWII prints.

Print size is 8"x10" ready for framing. The matte is printed right on the canvas. You can frame as shown or add your own matte. These canvas prints are made to order. They usually ship within two days of order placement.

This would make a nice gift and a great addition to any collection or Navy memory. Would be fantastic for decorating the home or office wall.

The watermark "Sample Print" will NOT be on your print.

This image is printed on Archival-Safe Acid-Free canvas using a high resolution printer and should last many years. It is also sprayed with a clear UV finish for extra protection.

Canvas offers a special and distinctive look. The canvas print does not need glass thereby enhancing the appearance of your print by eliminating glare.

We guarantee you will not be disappointed with this item or your money back. In addition, we will replace the canvas print unconditionally if you damage your print. You would only be charged for shipping and handling plus $5.00.


Navy Heritage
Merchant Marines
Build Fight in the Seabees
Cadets for Naval Aviation
Wish I could Join Waves
Sub Spotted Let Em Have It
Submarine Service
Become a Nurse
Don't Let Me Down
Sailor and his Girl
Because Someone Talked
Be a Marine Free a Marine
Admiral Halsey
Join Navy Free World
American Fighting Forces
Fight Lets Go! Join Navy
Don't Read History Make It
US Naval Aviation
Coast Guard Men
Navy Day October 27th
Travel Navy USS Miller
Old Salt of the Sixth Fleet
Become a Naval Officer
Remember December 7th
Tough Job Still Ahead
Viet Nam Who Served
Spearhead of Victory
Avenge December 7th
Sub Clear for Action
He's Getting Signal Are You?
Girl He Left Behind. Shes a Wow
We Can Do It!
Let's Hit Em
Philadelphia Navy Birthplace
US Marines First to Fight
America Fights for Liberty
Peace Through Strength
Corsairs Billboard Sign
The Kill
Spider and The Fly
MacArthur Returns
Old Salts 1880's
Seabees Build and Fight
I Want You Now
Young Men Wanted (1908)
Wish I Were a Man

Copyright © 2003-2016 Great Naval Images LLC. All rights reserved.

Great Naval Images LLC

NTC San Diego 1955-377 Anchor NTC San Diego 1956-326 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1957-120 Anchor NTC San Diego 1957-318 Anchor NTC San Diego 1958-181 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1959-062 Anchor NTC San Diego 1959-572 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1960-388 Anchor NTC San Diego 1961-028 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1961-364 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-298 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-416 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1962-464 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-056 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-177 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1963-242 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-363 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-520 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1963-523 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-565 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-039 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1964-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-205 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-224 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1964-315 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-381 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-426 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1965-300 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1965-306 Anchor NTC San Diego 1965-307 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1965-910 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-291 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-446 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1966-710 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-254 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1967-391 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-634 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-720 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1968-103 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-135 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-507 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1968-564 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-771 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-775 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1968-783 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-137 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-198 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1969-423 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-468 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-500 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1969-592 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1970-020 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-068 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1970-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-274 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1971-036 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1971-417 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1971-916 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-319 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1972-268 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-338 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-371 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1972-945 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-149 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1973-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-248 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-093 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1974-167 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-235 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-390 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1974-804 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-157 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-922 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1976-124 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1976-139 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1976-168 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1976-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1976-326 Anchor NTC San Diego 1977-055 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1977-276 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1978-073 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1978-197 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1979-072 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-130 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-179 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1979-194 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1980-028 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1980-036 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1980-055 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1980-069 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-102 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1980-156 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-227 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1981-073 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1981-137 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1981-148 Anchor NTC San Diego 1981-273 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1981-282 Anchor NTC San Diego 1982-935 Anchor NTC San Diego 1983-207 Anchor

NTC San Diego 1984-019 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-243 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-920 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1984-947 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-949 Anchor NTC San Diego 1985-034 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1985-236 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-132 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-061 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1986-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-171 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-081 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1987-219 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-933 Anchor NTC San Diego 1988-009 Anchor
NTC San Diego 1988-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1989-067 Anchor

Simmons Hanly Conroy Represents Navy Veterans Throughout the Country

Simmons Hanly Conroy has represented hundreds of Navy veterans throughout the country – officers and crew who endured years of unsafe work environments in contaminated shipyards and all classes of Naval ships, including: destroyers, destroyer escorts, LST’s, submarines, battleships, carriers, frigates, tenders, cruisers and assault craft. A number of our clients, for instance, were stationed on board the USS Kitty Hawk, a Pacific fleet carrier that served our county with distinction for nearly fifty years. Sailors on carriers such as the Kitty Hawk, especially during the 1940s-1970s, were at substantial risk of asbestos exposure.

Watch the video: USS Atlanta Guide 024 Human Voice