Boulton and Paul P.25 Bugle

Boulton and Paul P.25 Bugle

Boulton & Paul P.25 Bugle

The Boulton & Paul P.25 Bugle was a further development of the P.7 Bourges and all-metal P.15 Bolton twin engined bombers, and was produced in small numbers as part of the Air Ministries attempt to keep as many aircraft companies working as possible with limited funds.

The P.7 Bourges was a twin engined three-man fighter bomber that was almost as manoeuvrable as the fighter aircraft of 1918, but that didn't enter production before the end of the First World War. The P.15 Bolton was a similar aircraft, but with an all metal structure, and was the first all-metal aircraft to be delivered to the RAF.

The first two prototypes of the P.25 Bugle were ordered under Specification 30/22 in 1922. Like the Bourges and the Bolton it was a twin engined three man aircraft, now considered to be a medium bomber. Most of the structure used Boulton & Paul's locked joint system of steel tube construction, but the Air Ministry also allowed the use of some light alloys, so features such as the outer wing struts were made of the lighter duralumin. The Bugle was a three bay biplane. On the Bugle I the engines was mounted between the wings, on the same line as the inner wing spars. On the Bugle II the engines were mounted on the lower wings. On the Bugle I the fuel tanks were carried below the upper wings, as the Air Ministry had imposed a ban on fuel tanks within the fuselage.

The wings had the standard Boulton & Paul square ends, as did the tail surfaces. The horizontal tail surfaces were rectangular, with a cut out at the back to allow the rudder to move. The vertical tail had an inverted 'L' shaped rudder at the back, and an overall rectangular profile. In level flight the bottom of the tail was just above the level of the lower wing.

The fuselage had flat sides on the bottom half, and taped up to a point at the top, to allow the rear gunner a good field of fire downwards. The nose was changed from the Bourges/ Bolton model, where the pilot and nose gunner had been on about the same level. On the Bugle the nose gunner's position was lowered, to a position half way between the wings, and his gun ring was tilted slightly forward to improve his field of fire down. The pilot was above and behind, closer to the level of the upper wing, and with a better forward view. The bombs were carried externally, with two bomb rails under the fuselage and two under the inner wings. The nose gunner was also the bomb aimer, and had limited flight controls for use on the bomb run.

The first two prototypes were powered by 400hp Bristol Jupiter engines. The first (J6984) made its maiden flight on 30 June 1923 with Frank Courtney at the controls, and the second (J6985) made its maiden flight later in the year.

In 1924 a third prototype (J7235) was built. This was powered by Jupiter IV engines and carrying a crew of four. The wing span was reduced to 62ft 6in. This aircraft became the first Boulton & Paul design to reach a front line squadron, spending some time with No.58 Squadron in 1925. The squadron leader flew the aircraft at the 1925 Hendon Display, where he held his own in a mock dogfight with two Gloster Glebe fighters, showing that the basic Boulton & Paul design was still impressively manoeuvrable.

Another two Jupiter powered Bugle Is were ordered in January 1924 (J7259 and J7260). These were similar to J7235, with the reduced wingspan.

In 1925 two prototypes of the Bugle II were ordered (J7266 and J7267). These were powered by Napier Lion engines, which were mounted on the lower wings and the fuel tanks were moved from the upper wings to reduce drag (after the Air Ministry lifted its ban). The bomb carriers were given fairings to improve streamlining.

The Bugle was just as manoeuvrable as the earlier Bourges and Bolton, but in the mid 1920s the RAF had no real interest in medium bombers, and so very few were purchased. The two Bugle IIs were probably ordered to keep Boulton & Paul in the aircraft industry, at a time when funds were limited but their expertise in metal construction was seen as valuable. The company's hard work was soon to pay off, when the Boulton & Paul P.29 Sidestrand was ordered into production.

Bugle I (first two prototypes)
Engine: Two Bristol Jupiter II or III
Power: 400hp each
Crew: 3
Span: 65ft 0.5in
Length: 39ft 9in
Height: 15ft 8in
Empty weight: 5,079lb
Loaded weight: 8,110lb
Maximum take-off weight:
Max speed: 120mph at sea level
Climb Rate: 15min 30sec to 10,000ft
Armament: Two Lewis guns, one in nose, one in dorsal position
Bomb load: External bombs

Bugle I (modified prototypes)
Engine: Two Bristol Jupiter IV
Power: 434hp each
Crew: 4
Span: 62ft 6in
Length: 39ft 9in
Height: 15ft 8in
Loaded weight: 8,670lb
Maximum take-off weight:
Armament: Two Lewis guns, one in nose, one in dorsal position
Bomb load: External bombs

Bugle II
Engine: Two Napier Lions
Power: 450hp each
Span: 62ft 6in
Length: 39ft 9in
Height: 15ft 8in
Loaded weight: 8,914lb
Maximum take-off weight:
Max speed: 112mph at sea level
Armament: Two Lewis guns, one in nose, one in dorsal position
Bomb load: External bombs


Boulton Paul Bugle

From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Bugle
Role Heavy bomber
National origin UK
Manufacturer Boulton & Paul, Norwich
First flight 30 June 1923
Number built 7

The Boulton & Paul Bugle was a British heavy bomber built to meet Air Ministry Specification 30/22.

It drew on the company's experience with the Boulton Paul Bolton and Boulton & Paul Bourges.

There were two variants the Bugle I with 400 hp (298 kW) Bristol Jupiter II radial engines (5 built) and the Napier Lion W-block Bugle II (2 built)


How Did 'Taps' Originate?

The origins of “Taps,” the distinctive bugle melody played at U.S. military funerals and memorials and as a lights-out signal to soldiers at night, date back to the American Civil War. 

In July 1862, U.S. General Daniel Butterfield and his brigade were camped at Harrison’s Landing, Virginia, recuperating after the Seven Days Battles near Richmond. Dissatisfied with the standard bugle call employed by the Army to indicate to troops it was time to go to sleep, and thinking the call should sound more melodious, Butterfield reworked an existing bugle call used to signal the end of the day. After he had his brigade bugler, Private Oliver Wilcox Norton, play it for the men, buglers from other units became interested in the 24-note tune and it quickly spread throughout the Army, and even caught on with the Confederates.

Not long after Butterfield created “Taps,” it was played for the first time at a military funeral, for a Union cannoneer killed in action. The man’s commanding officer, Captain John Tidball, decided the bugle call would be safer than the traditional firing of three rifle volleys over the soldier’s grave, a move which couldn’t been confused by the nearby enemy as an attack. 


The Old State House

Built in 1791, the Old State House served as Delaware’s capitol during the United States’ critical early years as a nation. With additions and modifications, the building continued to serve as the state capitol until 1933.

Museum History

More information about the history of the The Old State House

Photo Gallery

The museum is open to the public and admission is free. Donations are appreciated.

Free, but limited, street parking is available in front of, and around, the State House

Accessibility

The first floor of the State House is accessible to people with disabilities.

Phase II Reopening FAQ

Tours of The Old State House are available on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 10 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 1:15 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. and on Sundays at 1 p.m., 2:15 p.m., and 3:30 p.m.

Forty-five minutes. Please arrive on time because the end of the tour cannot be extended due to the time needed to clean the museum between tours.

Yes, reservations are required. They are free, and available by calling the Old State House at 302-744-5054

No, reservations are only available over the phone at this time.

Yes, all visitors and staff must properly wear a cloth face covering at all times while at the museum. Everyone must keep a proper distance of at least six feet from anyone in the building who is not a part of their household. Please follow the instructions of museum staff members, especially when entering and exiting the building. Please do not touch anything in the museum unless it is absolutely necessary.

Once you arrive, please wait in the designated visitor area outside the museum. A museum staff member will be outside to greet you five minutes before your scheduled tour time.

Restrooms are not available at the Old State House. Please use the facilities prior to your arrival.

Tours are guided by a historic-site interpreter with options for self-guiding in some areas of the building.

The maximum number of people who can be on a tour is six. One to three households can be on the tour at the same time as long as the total number of people on the tour does not exceed six.

We are considering one household to consist of people who have been living together during the lockdown. You do not have to be related to be considered part of the same household. Family members who live in separate locations do not count as one household.

Absolutely! Please visit the Delaware Digital History Museum and like us on Facebook.


Missiles

Boulton Paul was one of the two main innovators of gun turret designs for British aircraft, along with Nash & Thomson they supplied large numbers of installations for British aircraft. Boulton Paul's designs were largely based on originals licensed from the French company SAMM (Societe d'Application des Machines Motrices), while Nash & Thomson concentrated on the FN designs originated by the firm's co-founder, Archibald Frazer-Nash. Boulton Paul's turrets were electro-hydraulic in operation electric motors located in the turret drove hydraulic pumps that powered hydraulic motors and rams. This was more effective than electric motors alone, and did not require power developed by the aircraft's engines as did the hydraulic system utilized by the Nash & Thomson design. Production was transferred to Joseph Lucas Ltd.

  • Type A
    • Mark II Used on Defiant (D) and Roc (R)
    • Mark VIII Four gun or two gun turret, dorsal on Halifax
    • Also used on Ventura, and for converting Short C and G class flying boats
    • Mark I, 2 guns used as nose turret on Halifax
    • Mark II, 2 guns used as dorsal turret on Halifax
    • Used on Hudson
    • 2 0.5 in guns
    • Used on some Lincolns as tail turret, some fitted with AGLT
    • 4 x 0.303 guns rear turret used on Halifax and some versions of Liberator
    • Ventral design, 2 gun retractable used on Halifax
    • Nose design for Lincoln
    • Ventral, 2 x 0.303 guns with periscope sighting

    Boulton and Paul P.25 Bugle - History

    Rondo Avenue no longer looks like the thriving economic main street of St. Paul's historically Black community. Old Rondo Avenue, the social and cultural heart of a vibrant community, is now I-94, the national highway connecting the Twin Cities. In the 1950s, St. Paul intentionally cut the highway through the Rondo neighborhood. In July 2015, St. Paul's mayor apologized to the community during the annual Rondo Days celebration. " We regret the stain of racism that allowed so callous a decision as the one that led to family being dragged from their homes creating a diaspora of the African-American community in the City of Saint Paul," he said.

    This History Harvest is focused on Remembering Rondo. On March 5, 2016 and April 1, 2017, in partnership with Rondo Avenue, Inc., students from Macalester College invited contributions of historical artifacts from former and current Rondo residents. The digital archive you'll find here includes what the Rondo community values -- old photographs, soup tureens, and other sentimental memorabilia.

    This archive is made for the Rondo neighborhood, by the Rondo neighborhood, but we hope that others will find it relevant as well.


    Hmong in Minnesota

    Minnesota Historical Society resources about the history and culture of Minnesota’s Hmong people.

    The Hmong — a distinct ethnic group with ancient roots in China—began coming to Minnesota in 1975 as refugees from the destructive wars that had ravaged their homelands in Laos. Today, there are more than 66,000 Hmong in Minnesota, and the Twin Cities metro is home to the largest concentration of Hmong in America.

    For decades, the Hmong have made a profound impact on their adopted home of Minnesota. Over the years, MNHS has collaborated with the community to document this remarkable story by collecting oral histories, images, and artifacts, and by publishing books and articles on the Hmong experience.

    Koomhaum Minnesota Historical Society cov khoom qhia txog keeb kwm thiab kab lis kev cai ntawm cov Hmoob nyob hauv Minnesota.

    Hmoob—yog ib haiv neeg uas muaj keebkwm puag Suav Teb los—pib tsiv teb tsaws chaw tuaj rau xeev Minnesota nyob xyoo 1975 ua neeg thojnam los ntawm kev tsov rog uas tau tsim kev kub ntxhov rau lawv lub teb lub chaw nyob Lostsuas. Niaj hnub nim no, muaj coob tshaj 66,000 leej neeg Hmoob nyob hauv Minnesota, thiab nyob hauv Nroog Ntxaib yog thaj chaw uas cov Hmoob nyob Meskas Teb coob tshaj.

    Tau ntau lub xyoo, Hmoob tau muaj txiaj ntsim rau lawv lub neej tshiab nyob hauv Minnesota. Tau ntau xyoo los no, lub koomhaum MNHS tau koom tes nrog rau lub zej lub zos los zwm cia Hmoob zaj dab neeg uas siv kev tshawb fawb kaw cov lus cia, khaws cov duab thiab teej tug, nrog rau kev luam tawm tej phau ntawv thiab ntaub ntawv sau txog Hmoob lub neej.


    Watch the video: DefiantMK1